[Unlocked] Times New Roman 12
Two pages at least (This does not include the FILM STILL SHOT (Image from film) that you will turn in with your critique)
Font-Times New Roman 12 point
The critique will consist of you viewing the film of your choice and then choosing a film still shot (image/photo) from that film to analyze using the Mise-En-Scene 15 point analysis below (Please refer to Chapter 2). The critique should be in paragraph form. The critique should not include the actual questions below. For your convenience, I have provided you with the Mise-En-Scene 15-point analysis cheat sheet below. If you have any questions, please email me at [email protected]
- The Dominant-Where is our eye attracted first? Why?
- Lighting Key-High key? Low key? High contrast? Some combination of these? Why?
- Shot and Camera Proxemics-What type of shot? How far away is the camera from the action? Why?
- Camera Angle-Are we (and the camera) looking up or down on the subject? Or is the camera neutral (eye level)? Why?
- Color Values-What is the dominant color? Are there contrasting foils? Is there color symbolism? Why?
- Lens/Filter/Stock-How do these distort or comment on the photographed materials?
- Subsidiary Contrast-After taking in the dominant, where does the eye go next? What are the other main objects in the shot besides the dominant?
- Density-How much visual information is packed into the image? Is the texture stark, moderate, or highly detailed?
- Composition-How is the two-dimensional space segmented and organized? What is the underlying design?
- Form-Is the form open or closed? Does the image suggest a window that arbitrarily isolates a fragment of the scene? Or a proscenium arch, in which the visual elements are carefully arranged and held in balance?
- Framing-Is the framing tight or loose? What does the framing suggest?
- Depth of field-On how many planes is the image composed (how many are in focus)?
- Character Placement-What part of the framed space do the characters occupy? Top? Bottom? Edges? Why?
- Staging Positions-Which way do the characters’ look vis-à-vis the camera? Why?
15. Character Proxemics-How much space is there between the characters? What does this symbolize?