[Unlocked] Point – Maria Gonzalez
Apply the Chapter Concepts; Case in Point – Maria Gonzalez
Maria Gonzalez is a first-year Head Start teacher. She is enjoying her work but is particularly challenged by one of the families in her classroom. The Martinez family consists of Rosa, a young single mother; Diego, a charming four-year-old who is very shy; and an elderly grandmother who speaks no English.
- How might Rosa benefit from her daily conversations with Maria?
- What are some of the things Diego learns as he watches his mother and teacher talk together each day?
- How might Maria benefit as a teacher by her close communication with this family?
- Consider any potential barriers that Maria should be aware of and ways these could be overcome.
- Create a list of behaviors and attitudes that may act as barriers from them—that is, what would make parents feel uncomfortable with teachers, and teachers uncomfortable with parents?