[Unlocked] De Jure Segregation Vs
The Color of Law
- What is de jure? What is de facto?
- For whom was public housing originally created?
- Speak about the current use of public housing in terms of de jure segregation vs de facto segregation.
- After WWII, what impact did the real estate industry (lobby) have on public housing? How has that impact affected the reputation of public housing and the demographics of its residents?
- Give at least three examples of instances in which the government racially segregated cities/communities that were not racially segregated prior to public housing being built.
Space Over Time
- How does Marcuse (1998) describe the difference between a ghetto and an enclave? Between segregation and congregation?
- Do you agree? Give examples of areas that might be categorized this way.
- Peter Marcuse (1998) describes clustering in two ways. What are they? How are they distinct?
- From your personal experience, do his categorization and description ring true?