[Unlocked] Competencies Communication Critical Questioning
Pronouns are used every day, whether you are writing or speaking they naturally take the place of the nouns to avoid repetition. We often use them without thinking about it. Often when speaking of someone in the third person, these pronouns have a gender implied. These associations are not always accurate or helpful. Mistaking or assuming someones’ gender is a common mistake. Using someone’s correct gender pronoun is one of the most basic ways to show respect for their identity. People can choose to use a variety of pronouns.
Write a post answering the following question:
Why is it important for medical staff at any medical facility to ask about a person’s pronouns?
- Explore new vocabulary and terminology related to healthcare.
- Apply language skills to a range of healthcare contexts and situations.
- Critical questioning
- Ethical sense and social justice
- Your initial response should be 100-200 words in length, reflecting on the prompt above.
- Reply to at least two classmates’ posts. Your response to your classmate’s discussion should be around 50 words (each) and add to the discussion (i.e. reflecting on their response, asking questions, etc.).]