[UNLOCKED]: Assignment: Assessing, Diagnosing, and Treating Head, Neck, and Face Disorders
Complete the Focused SOAP Note Template provided for the patient in the case study. Be sure to address the following:
- Subjective: What was the patient’s subjective complaint? What details did the patient provide regarding their history of present illness and personal and medical history? Include a list of prescription and over-the-counter drugs the patient is currently taking. Compare this list to the American Geriatrics Society Beers Criteria®, and consider alternative drugs if appropriate. Provide a review of systems.
- Objective: What observations did you note from the physical assessment? What were the lab, imaging, or functional assessments results?
- Assessment: Provide a minimum of three differential diagnoses. List them from top priority to least priority. Compare the diagnostic criteria for each, and explain what rules each differential in or out. Explain you critical thinking process that led you to the primary diagnosis you selected. Include pertinent positives and pertinent negatives for the specific patient case.
- Plan: Provide a detailed treatment plan for the patient that addresses each diagnosis, as applicable. Include documentation of diagnostic studies that will be obtained, referrals to other health-care providers, therapeutic interventions, education, disposition of the patient, caregiver support, and any planned follow-up visits. Provide a discussion of health promotion and disease prevention for the patient, taking into consideration patient factors, past medical history (PMH), and other risk factors. Finally, include a reflection statement on the case that describes insights or lessons learned.
- Provide at least three evidence-based peer-reviewed journal articles or evidenced-based guidelines, which relate to this case to support your diagnostics and differentials diagnoses. Be sure they are current (no more than 5 years old) and support the treatment plan in following current standards of care. Follow APA 7th edition formatting.
Week 4 Case 2
CC: My wife seems to be having trouble hearing me when I talk. She is turning the TV up loud.
HPI: Mary is an 88-year-old African American (AA) female married for 50 years to Albert. Albert complains that Mary cannot hear or hears but does not understand (especially in a group); turns up radio or television louder to hear (also noted by family, friends, and neighbors); Mary complains of tinnitus; and she feels like people are “mumbling.”
PMH: Mary takes ramipril for hypertension (HTN), a baby aspirin for cardio protection, and a statin for hypercholesterolemia.
Vital signs are 120/88 P: 88 P02: 96% WT: 156 HT: 5’6” BMI:_____
ROS: Ask if Mary has had any exposure to ototoxic drugs or other otic damage in the past. Describe at least three.
PE: What examinations will you perform on the ear? Describe the areas of the ear you will evaluate and what you will expect to find.
Diagnostic Testing: Please describe at least three (3) methods to test for hearing.
You determine that Mary has a hearing deficit and tinnitus. What differential diagnoses do you want to consider? Describe at least three.
What will your treatment plan for this patient be?
What other recommendations will you make (i.e., screening)?
What referrals will you make?
Education: Name at least two things you will educate your patient about regarding their hearing.
Choose the ROS, PE, and DD and final diagnosis for this patient, and then write up your focused SOAP note.